Followers

Friday, November 13, 2009

Poor baby Dior hurt her leg

After a long week on vacation, which I had a great time by the way, I missed Dior tremendously. While I was away Stephanie looked after Dior, my Mom stopped in to see her and Sarah and Stephanie watched Joaquin train her. She gets a lot of attention at Double W, being taken care of 24-7.

Anyway, she must have done something to her hind leg as it was swollen yesterday. She wasn't putting her weight on the leg and was limping a bit. Joaquin and I hosed her leg with cold water to help with the swelling. After we iced it, she didn't favor the leg and was putting her weight on it. We gave her some medicine and are hoping she will improve over the next few days. If not, I will call the Vet to come check her out. She is on stall rest, so no turnout for her over the next few days. Turnout is when she goes outside in the pasture, which she will have to miss out on for the next few days. At least her stall is near the barn door allowing her to look out and see what is going on during the day.

Now, being the luckiest first-time horse owner, all credit due to Stephanie, I was given Dior's ultrasound picture. I posted the picture on this blog showing Dior when she was still a little peanut in her Mom's womb. As you can see in the picture, she was actually a twin, but the twin didn't survive. I read online that the chances of both horse twins surviving is 1 in 100,000 to 1 in 500,000.

I will be going to check up on Dior after work and see how she is doing. Stephanie is going up there this morning and will give me an update soon. I will keep everyone posted!

Oh, and already thinking of Christmas...I got her a cute red and white Christmas stocking. It has two different white embroidered sayings on each side. One has "Dear Santa, I have been good" and the other side has "Dear Santa, I can explain". I got her a big rhinestone D to pin on it, too. We will see how she behaves from now until Christmas. I have a feeling she will be a goooooood little girl. Ol' Santa will be bringing her lots of presents. She is so loved.

I do know that the other day while I was in California, Joaquin lounged her and she reared 4 times! Silly girl. I guess she was being a little sassy that day. But, fortunately, the following training session Joaquin said she was much better. And, when Sarah saw her train on Saturday of last week, she thought it was funny when she saw Dior do an extremely lazy rear. Joaquin gets after her for that stuff, and eventually she will stop doing that.

Yesterday, Joaquin said Dior is a different horse already. It is very exciting that she is progressing.

Let's just hope her leg gets better on its own over the next few days.

Crystal is coming to meet her this Saturday. I am excited for her to meet Dior.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Vickie
    Sorry Dior hurt her leg hope she is ok Let me know ok.I can not wait until I can come out their and see her. LOve Aunty Candice

    ReplyDelete