Dior did very well loading into the trailer on Saturday, Oct. 30th, 2009. It took her two or three times to get all the way in, but she did it without any fuss. Then when we arrived at Double W, her new home, she unloaded and went right into her new stall. Within minutes she was already eating the hay in the stall. All the other horses did very well, too, Jackie, Paris and Mack. Mack did get loose, but didn't go anywhere. I think they all were adjusting pretty quickly, considering.
I tied up Dior's new toy, a green, apple-scented Jolly ball. Stephanie found some hay twine and I tied the new toy up on the bars in Dior's stall. Being the curious girl she is, she started batting it around with her head immediately. I think she may have tried to eat it at some point, or just checking it out with her mouth. I think she likes it ():
Went up to the barn on Sunday as well. I had a long night of Halloween party celebrating, but couldn't wait to check up on them to see how well they were adjusting and settling in. Dior and the gang were out in turnout and as I walked up something was going on in the main pasture, causing all the horses in all the pastures to start running around, jumping and whinnying a lot. Jackie was jumping around like she was in a rodeo. So, I brought her inside so she can rest, as her leg is still healing. The minute she got in, there was a bunch of hay waiting for her. I swear, I could get used to that lifestyle. Right when you get back home, there is a big plate of food waiting for you!
Then, we brought all of them inside. Dior didn't want to come in. Stephanie said she probably was confused. So, we grabbed Paris and brought her over and then Dior knew she didn't want to stay outside by herself, so she came running over and wanted to go in. So, I hooked the lead rope up to her halter and lead her in behind Paris and Stephanie.
I am still getting used to everything myself, and sometimes I think I am scared when the horses aren't. I hope to build this confidence up and become more comfortable. Because a reluctant, nonconfident owner doesn't do a whole lot of good for a horse. I am working on that. I know this will be something that will improve my overall attitude and knowledge. It won't happen overnight, but I will try my best to do better every day. The rest of the day Dior stayed in her stall and hung out. I gave her an apple-flavored snack that Sarah so kindly bought for her. It is funny watching Dior eat these, not sure why. I think she def. likes them. Thanks Sarah! Paris was let free in the arena today also. She ran around looking at everything and kicked out her legs. She really like it I am sure. There were mirrors on the wall and she was checking it out, thinking there was another horse in there. The horses were all whinnying at each other. Then Paris blew a big nose of horse snot at my face. That was really nice of her, huh? She did really well in there. At one point she brushed her tail on the metal arena wall and scared herself. Then, she did it a second time, and again scared herself. There were jumps in there that she checked out especially the one with the flowerbox. Eventually we brought her in and then took Mack and put him in there. It was funny, but he did many of the same things Paris did. Checked himself in the mirror, thinking that there must have been another horse on the other side. Checked out all the jumps, ran around and had some good fun and exercise. After a while, we brought Jackie in and he just followed her and Steven around the arena, never allowing them to get too far away from him, he would lope to catch up. All the horses seem to be adjusting very well.
Today is Monday, Nov. 2. I called the trainer to see what time he is starting Dior's training. I am going to meet him there at 4:30. I am very excited to see how things will improve. Dior aims to please and is a quick learner. It will be nice to have someone work with her on a constant basis and it will allow me to become more comfortable with her. I will post later to update how things went!
Monday, November 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Vickie I am sorry the baby hurt her leg.I can not wait to see her TELL YOUR DAD HE CAN NOT HAVE HER.I think she is beautiful.the photo are great.Hope to see her soon and you and he whole family.
ReplyDeleteLove always Aunty Candice
Awww. Thanks. I can't wait to see you again and for you to meet her. She will love her Aunty Candie! I am crossing my fingers that her leg is now healed. We will see if it gets swollen again, but I think we are in the clear.
ReplyDeleteLove,
Victoria